So we are trying a new tradition in our household in where we are doing meatless meals on Monday. Since I have Mama Pea’s Cookbook we are going to be trying out some of her recipes. First up tonight:
Thai Veggie Burgers
- 1/3 c. old fashioned oats, ground into a coarse flour
- 1 – 14oz can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 2 t. soy sauce
- 2 t. lime juice
- 2 t. sesame oil
- 2 t. minced garlic
- 2 t. ground ginger
- 2 T. peanut butter
- 2 T. cilantro
- 3/4 c. broccoli slaw
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns (I used Arnold’s Sandwich Thins – Multi-Grain)
- 4 pineapple rings (fresh or canned)
- Optional Toppings: lettuce, vegan mayonnaise, etc.
1. In a food processor or blender, grind oats. Add chickpeas, soy sauce, lime juice, seasame oil, garlic, ginger, peanut butter, cilantro and broccoli slaw and pulse until mixture is combined yet still slightly chunky. Chill mixture for 30 minutes.
2. Coat a skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Score bean mixture into quarters and form each portion into a patty. Fry in skillet for 5 to 6 minutes on each side.
3. Toast buns and top with pineapple and other desired toppings. Place finished patties on buns and serve.
Hubby and I loved these. We topped them with lettuce, tomatoe, pineapple and mayo. The pineapple adds a nice sweetness to the mixture. The kiddos did not appreciate them at all. They ended up having a peanut butter sandwich. I am going to still continue with the meatless Monday until I find something that they like.
Now on a lighter note, we had some camera fun after supper.